One fun Saturday night in NYC, I found myself at (le) Poisson Rouge dancing away to an 80’s cover band music. In between songs, my friend introduced me to Ruben Perez. Ruben has been an events coordinator extraordinaire for over ten years. Born and raised in the Bronx, he has a vast appreciation of music and a passionate eye for street art.
Here is 5 minutes/5 questions with the multi-facteted Ruben Perez.
1) How long have you lived in New York?
All my life. I was born and raised in The Bronx.
2) What is your favorite thing about working in nightlife?
That it’s not a desk job. Whenever work starts to feel stressful I just remind myself that I could be working a 9-to-5 in a cubicle somewhere and I immediately feel great about what I do again.
3) If your life had a theme song, what would it be and why?
“The Boss” by James Brown. A little James Brown swagger has served me well in life.
4) Where is the best place to grab food in NYC at 3 am?
Before 2:30am, Lucky Strike has been my go-to for well over 10 years. By 3am I get less picky. There are a bunch of great places to choose from but I’ll take an egg breakfast at a diner and be content.
5) What are the top three characteristics on your Love List (characteristics or qualities you are looking for in a potential mate or your current mate)?
Funny – what is life without laughter?
Adventurous – I’ve had a lot of fun in my life but almost all of it has been in New York. I’m craving adventure and a desire to take risks in my life now more than ever and I need someone who shares that.
A good communicator – I couldn’t imagine feeling emotionally connected to someone who I couldn’t have honest and open communication with.